jeudi 16 octobre 2008

Prom Overrated?


It's the year every student looks forward to. Graduating from high school, and celebrating by having your prom. Prom is known worldwide as a ceremony, where many people like to have a good time, and also get intoxicated, and wound up getting pregnant. The truth is, times have changed drastically, many parents still believe prom is a night where you make the big mistakes. Come on people, it's going on 2009, we have a whole new perspective on things. I went to prom last year as Jacob Bolduc's date, and I have to say it was fun, but I would not do it again. I've made up my mind that I will not be joining anyone this year. We have just found out this week that we have until Friday to buy tickets for 60$, and the price will go up another 10$ the week after, and again for the last week of October. Everyone thinks the same, it's too expensive, and you worry about having to buy 2 tickets, and finding a date already, prom's not until June! I agree that prom is a bit expensive, the way I think of it, the school should pay for a part of it. It doesn't have to be half, but even a quarter would help. I'm sure we have loads of money stashed away that are being spent on TV's in the classrooms that we don't even need! They've been there for a year already, and I'm sure we've used it for about the amount of fingers I have on my hand. When you truly think about it, girls have to pay for a dress (150-200$), many girls will pay to get their hair and makeup(130-150$), the limo (50$), and on top of that, an extra 120$ for prom tickets! All together that's sums up to about 500-550$! It's outrageous! We need to worry about saving money for college and university, not for prom! The way I will be celebrating my senior year, would be going camping with my friends, and playing beach volleyball, laying by the fire at night making smores, and meet other graduate students from other schools. In my opinion, our prom, is nothing but 6 hours of getting ready, about 4 hours of taking pictures, and another 2 hours of dancing, then having to wake up at 7 or 6am to go camping. Prom is overrated, Garnier prom, is definately nowhere near other high school proms.

Aucun commentaire: