jeudi 6 novembre 2008

Olympics?

As most of you who don't know this about me, every year here at Garnier, I've had several people who come visit me and look at my progression. I've been learning a bit of sign language (LSQ). LSQ stands for Langues des Signes Québécoise. Which is the french version of sign language. Many people are not familiar with this, but LSQ and ASL (American Sign Language) are two different versions of sign language. Although there are some signs that are the same, they are still two different languages. I've been seeing the same people for the past couple of years now, and just last year, a gentleman offered me and unbelievable opportunity. He informed me of a volleyball team that are hearing impaired, and they play in the Special Olympics. These girls are from 16-20 years old. Depending on my hearing disability qualifications, I may be able to enroll myself into this team. I believe next year the Olympics will be in Brazil. This for me, would be an amazing opportunity to do the two things I love; playing volleyball, and travelling with other people's money! I still have to get in touch with the organization in order to be a part of it. They would have to come and see me play. As for right now, it's just an opportunity for me, since I will probably wait a year or two to look into it, so that I start college, and get my education first, so that I have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out. It's all about taking risks, and for me, this opportunity would be the one that could change my life forever.

1 commentaire:

Nicole a dit…

Hello Roxalot, my name is Nicole and I am from Canadore College. I came across your blog and see that you are coming to North Bay this weekend for a tour of Nipissing. If you would like a tour of Canadore feel free to call our Liaison Officer at 474-7600 ext. 5151 and they will be happy to set it up. Also the coach of our Womens volleyball team is at extension 5172 and is always anxious to talk to students insterested in playing for the team. If you don't get this message before you leave feel free to call anyway if you have any questions after your visit. Canadore is truly a inspirational College with beautiful surroundings.
Hope to see you here.
Nicole :)